Preparing for Divorce in the New Year: 10 Things You Should Do
The 10 things you need to know:
1. Copy all year-end financial statements that will arrive in the coming months. These include all work-related (W2s, 1099s, 401(k), IRA, pension), personal banking, and investment statements.
2. Run a credit report.
3. Make sure you have a credit card in your own name.
4. Start listing parenting issues and develop visitation options that can work for all parties involved.
5. Identify any medical or dental appointments that should be attended before a potential change in your insurance coverage.
6. Remove all copies of personal bank statements, medical records, and legal documents, in addition to irreplaceable items/personal mementos from your home. Leave them with a trusted friend or family member for safekeeping.
7. Get copies of income tax returns from the past two years.
8. Create a safe place from which you can send and receive information (P.O. Box/new email address).
9. Change passwords on all of your social media accounts and avoid posting content that would upset your children or spouse.
10. Be proactive about not only finding the best possible attorney to represent you but also establishing a support network that you can rely on when you need it the most. Divorce can be a challenging, painful process. Create a safety net for yourself and accept the help of others. It can make all the difference. Really.